Last Update: 01 January 2010
- 1 kg of beef cut into chunks
- 1/8 kilo of pork fat cut into strips
- 4 onions, peeled and quartered
- 5 medium potatoes, quartered (optional: fried)
- 1 medium sized carrot, sliced in 1/2" sections
- 2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 bouillon cubes dissolved in water
- 3 bay leaves (laurel leaves)
- 1/4 -cup vinegar
- 2 cups tomato sauce or 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup soy sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut an incision on the beef chunks and insert a pork strip in the middle (mitsa)
- In a pan, combine the beef (with the fat), tomato sauce, soy sauce, bay leaves and beef stock. Bring to a boil and simmer until the beef is almost tender
- Add the vinegar and let boil for a minute or two
- Add the potatoes, onions, carrot, and bell pepper
- Let simmer until potatoes and carrots are cooked - occasionally stir to thicken sauce
- Serve hot with white rice
- Beef Mechado Cooking Tips:
- Pressure cook the beef with the beef stock for faster cooking time.
- Fry the potatoes before adding.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil and stir when the mechado dish is almost done for added flavor.
Next Recipe: Beef Morcon »